Managing custom post types
Managing custom post types
The main ACPT dashboard looks like that:
From the main dashboard you can run these operations:
- manually sync post types
- create new custom post type
- update an existent post type
- view a registered post type
- delete a registered post type
Once you install ACPT or ACPT Lite plugin, a sync process with already registered custom post types is performed automatically.
Please note that ACPT imports also post and page posts, which are labeles as "Native".
From the main dashobard you can see a grayish button to perform the operation manually.
The sync process imports every custom post type with
show_ui attribute set to true.
Register a new post type
From the main dashboard click on "Register new Post Type" green button to create a new custom post type:
The creation of a new post types is a three steps process:
- STEP 1: Basic
- STEP 2: Labels
- STEP 3: Settings
Basic (Minimum configuration)
This is the most important step. Define here:
- Post name: The post name/slug. Used for various queries. ACPT automatically escapes the slug for you.
- Singular label: Used only in admin panel when a singular label is needed
- Plural label: Used only in admin panel for the post type admin menu item
- Icon: Displayed on the sidebar of the admin panel
- Support: Add support for various available post edit features. For more info see here.
Labels (Additional labels)
Here you can find the labels used only in the admin panel for ordinary Wordpress operations (searching posts, insert new content etc…).
The default settings are good in most situations, but feel free to change what you want.
Settings (Other settings)
Other important post settings.
Pay particular attenction to
Please read this blog article.
Don't touch the default settings if you don't know what are you doing :)
Once you complete the three steps you'll see the new custom post type on you admin panel and start work on it.
Please refer to official Wordpress documentation to get more info about registering new custom post types.
Update an existent post type
You have two ways to Update a post type:
- by clicking the Edit link in the dashboard
- by clicking the Edit link in the View mode (it takes directly to the selected step)
The update process is pretty identical to the creation one. The only remarkable difference is that in the update process you can't modify the post slug.
View a registered post type
By clicking the View link in the dashboard you can view a Custom Post Type.
The View mode in divided in three tabs, as the 3-steps creation process.
Delete a registered post type
By clicking the Delete link in the dashboard you can delete a Custom Post Type.
It's very important to understand that this operation DOES NOT DELETE nothing on the posts wordpress DB table, but only the ACPT settings. After deleting a custom post type you will no longer display it in the admin panel, even if the posts records are still present. If you try to re-create the same post type you will see the old posts.
Please note that you cannot delete Native post types.